HEALTH & DENTAL PLAN
What’s the Number-One query on people’s minds when they walk through the doors at the Student Union Society? The SUS Health & Dental Plan!
What is it?
- An extended health and dental insurance plan through Desjardins, that most full-time UFV Student Union Society members (9 credits or more) in the Fall semester are automatically enrolled in.
- It covers many health services that MSP does not.
- It can be combined with other extended health plans to maximize overall coverage.
- Be sure to check out the health care providers that are part of the Studentcare Network.
- Go to ihaveaplan.ca for more information.
How much does it cost?
- Only $0.44 / day.
- Your annual fee is $159.92 for coverage including health, dental, vision, and travel.
- Up to 70% of preventative dental services like exams and cleanings.
- Scaling is covered up to a maximum of two ( 2 ) units per policy year.
- Up to 40% of basic services including fillings, root canals & oral surgery.
- Major restorative services (crowns, bridges, posts) are not insured by the Plan.
- *For all services you can also receive an additional 20% off when visiting a Network Savings Dentist. See the list on ihaveaplan.ca
- Up to 70% for eligible prescriptions.
- Prescription vaccinations listed in the Fair Pharmacare Plan are covered at 70%. Non prescription vaccinations are covered at 70%, up to $150 per policy year.
- Health Practitioners: Physio, chiropractors, psychologist, naturopath, osteopath, registered dietitian podiatrist/chiropodist, athletic therapist, speech therapist and massage therapist at $20/visit, $300 per category of practitioner per policy year. For a full list visit ihaveaplan.ca.
- Certain diagnostic lab tests and ultrasounds.
- Medical Equipment: including wheelchair rentals, crutches, prosthesis, etc.
- Ambulance in emergency medical situations.
** always check with the Member Services Centre at 1.866.358.4437 for service and equipment eligibility before you incur the cost…
- $5,000,000 coverage per trip.
- Covered for 120 days per trip.
- Unlimited number of trips.
- Students on a recognized academic exchange who are still association members are covered for the duration of exchange, plus the first 120 days of their trip and 120 days after their exchange ends.
- Covers hospital, physician, and other services for emergency treatment of an injury or illness while travelling outside of the province in which you reside.
- Emergency Travel assistance.
- Trip cancellation: $1,500 per trip in case of medical emergency.
- Trip interruption: $5,000 per trip in case of medical emergency.
- Before leaving: download a Travel Information Brochure at ihaveaplan.ca.
How do I take advantage of the Health and Dental plan?
- When you go to a health-care provider, simply show your SUS Health and Dental Plan Card (also known as the Pay-Direct Card) and your UFV Student ID card.
- Or you can bring your receipts and forms – easily downloaded at ihaveaplan.ca – to a SUS office for help or you can mail them directly to Desjardins yourself.
- The plan fee is levied as a student fee when you register as a full-time student for the school year, and costs $159.92 per student (but some courses are not included).
- All health and dental claims must be received by Desjardin’s no later than 90 days after the end of the policy year in which the claims were incurred or 90 days after the end of your coverage, whichever is sooner. Full-year coverage ends August 31, 2013.
Change of Coverage:
- If you’re already covered by an equivalent health and dental plan you can opt out and be reimbursed for the fee BETWEEN August 27th and September 18th (You can’t opt out if you’re covered only by MSP or only have either dental or health coverage).
- The easiest way to opt out is to go to ihaveaplan.ca and click on OPT OUTS under the Coverage section on the right-hand side. You’ll need scans of documents (either both sides of your Insurance Card or a letter from your employer) showing YOUR NAME, and proof that you are covered for both Health and Dental Extended coverage, the name of the Insurance Provider and Group number. Fill out the online Opt Out form, and upload your documentation to the website, make sure you select either the ANNUAL or PERMANENT Opt Out option as is most appropriate for your circumstance.
- To download the official OPT OUT documentation directions, click here Proof of Coverage
- Otherwise you can come by one of our offices – Abbotsford C1015 or Chilliwack CEP A0010 – during the Change of Coverage period (August 27 to September 18) and we’ll give you a hand.
- For students who start in the Fall semester the policy year is from September 1, 2012 to August 31, 2013.
- For students who start at UFV in the Winter semester and self enroll in the Plan: January 1, 2013 to August 31, 2013.
- The Fall Change-of-Coverage Period (for opt outs and enrollments) is from August 27 to September 18, 2013. New January students can only enroll between January 3rd and 24th. Please note there is no opt-out period in the Winter or Summer semesters.
- You can add a spouse or children.
- Full-time students who are eligible but not automatically covered can enroll during the Change-of-Coverage Period.
- Part-time students are not automatically enrolled but may opt in for an additional fee.